Yardlong beans Poriyal recipe – Ingredients:-
- Karamani / yardlong beans / Thattapayathangai – 1/4 kg
- grated coconut – 2 tblsp
- cooked toor dal / thuvaram paruppu – 2 tblsp (optional)
- salt – to taste
Yardlong beans Poriyal recipe – Ingredients for Seasoning:-
- oil – 1 tsp
- mustard seeds / kadugu – 1/2 tsp
- urad dal / ulundham paruppu – 1 tsp
- asafoetida / perungayam – pinch
- onion – 2 tblsp (chopped)
- green chillies / pachai milagai – 2 number (slit)
- curry leaves / karuvepilai – few
Yardlong beans Poriyal recipe – Method of preparation:-
1. First of all chop yardlong beans into one inch pieces and wash well with water. Consequently chop onion, green chillies and collect all the other ingredients in a plate.
2. Secondly heat one tea spoon of oil in a fry pan and add mustard seeds.
3. When it splutters add one tea spoon of urad dal and when it turns golden add a pinch of asafoetida. Then add chopped onion, slit green chillies and curry leaves.
4. After one minute add chopped yardlong beans and sauté.
5. When these beans shrinks and turns colour add one cup of water.
6. Close using a lid and cook in medium flame for five minutes. Now yardlong beans will be almost cooked and it will become soft. At this stage you can add required salt.
7. Mix well the ingredients and add grated coconut.
8. Finally add cooked toor dal and mix well without breaking the ingredients.
9. You can switch off the stove and transfer to a serving bowl. Serve as side dish with meals.