yardlong beans pachadi recipe is an easy to prepare recipe which can be served along with rice. Yardlong beans were called as “Karamani” or “Thattapayathangai” in tamil. It is also called as asparagus bean, long-padded cowpea, Chinese long bean, snake bean or pea bean.
yard long bean will be 1.5 feet in length.
Botanical name:- Vigna unguiculata subsp. sesquipedalis
A short video link for the recipe:-
yardlong beans pachadi recipe – Ingredients:-
- yardlong beans / Karamani – 1/4 kg (chopped)
- onion – 1 (chopped)
- tomato – 1 (chopped)
- curry leaves / karuvepilai – few
- turmeric powder / manjal podi – 1/4 tsp
- sambar powder – 1 tsp
- tamarind paste / puzhi paste – 3/4 tsp
yardlong beans pachadi recipe – Ingredients for seasoning:-
- oil – 1 tsp
- mustard seeds/ kadugu – 1/2 tsp
- urad dal / ulundham paruppu – 1/2 tsp
- asafoetida / perungayam – pinch
yardlong beans pachadi recipe – Method of preparation:-
1. Cook toor dal and keep it ready. Firstly heat one tea spoon of oil in a fry pan. Add mustard seeds.
2. When it splutters secondly add urad dal.
3. After it turns golden, add asafoetida.
4. Further add chopped onions and fry.
5. When it turns pale, add chopped Karamani and fry.
6. As a result beans will start to shrink.
7. Now add a cup of water and turmeric powder.
8. Further close and cook in low flame for 8 to 10 minutes.
9. Mean while mix sambar powder, tamarind paste and salt with one cup of water and keep it ready.
10. Now the beans will be well cooked and becomes soft.
11. Further pour the sambar powder mix and keep it in low flame for 3 more minutes.
12. Finally add cooked toor dal, mix well and keep in low flame.
13. Transfer to a serving bowl and serve along with rice.