yardlong bean sambar | Karamani sambar recipe is an easy to prepare sambar which can be served along with rice. Yardlong beans were called as “Karamani” or “Thattapayathangai” in tamil. It is also called as asparagus bean, long-padded cowpea, Chinese long bean, snake bean or pea bean.
yard long bean will be 1.5 feet in length.
Botanical name:- Vigna unguiculata subsp. sesquipedalis
yardlong bean sambar recipe – Ingredients:-
- yardlong beans / Karamani – 1/4 kg (chopped)
- onion – 1 (chopped)
- tomato – 1 (chopped)
- curry leaves / karuvepilai – few
- turmeric powder / manjal podi – 1/4 tsp
- sambar powder – 1 tsp
- tamarind paste / puzhi paste – 3/4 tsp
yardlong bean sambar recipe – Ingredients for seasoning:-
- oil – 1 tsp
- mustard seeds/ kadugu – 1/2 tsp
- urad dal / ulundham paruppu – 1/2 tsp
- asafoetida / perungayam – pinch
yardlong bean sambar recipe – Method of preparation:-
1. Cook toor dal and keep it ready. Heat one tsp of oil in a fry pan. Add mustard seeds.
2. When it splutters add urad dal.
3. When it turns golden, add asafoetida.
4. Next add chopped onions.
5. When it turns pale, add chopped Karamani and fry.
6. Beans will start to shrink.
7. Now add a cup of water and turmeric powder.
8. Close and cook in low flame for 8 to 10 minutes.
9. Mean while mix sambar powder, tamarind paste and salt with one cup of water and keep it ready.
10. Now the beans will be well cooked and becomes soft.
11. Now pour the sambar powder mix and keep it in low flame for 3 more minutes.
12. Finally add cooked toor dal, mix well and keep in low flame.
13. Transfer to a serving bowl and serve along with rice.