yam gravy recipe | pidi karunai masala curry is a tasty side dish for parathas, dry roti, puri, naan and kulcha, prepared in North Indian style with onion, garlic, tomatoes, coconut milk, cumin seeds, red chilly powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder, tamarind paste and salt. Garnished with butter and cilantro. We have already prepared Karunai kizhangu puzhi kuzhambu
Ingredients:- (200 ml cup used)
- pidi karunai / yam – 300 grams
- onion – 1 (finely chopped)
- garlic / poondu – 15 cloves (chopped)
- tomato – 1 (finely chopped)
- veg oil – 1 tsp
- cumin seeds / seeragam – 1 tsp
- red chilly powder / milagai podi – 1 tsp
- coriander powder / malli podi – 1 tsp
- turmeric powder / manjal podi – 1/4 tsp
- tamarind paste / puzhi – 1 tsp Tamarind Paste Preparation
- salt / uppu – to taste
- coconut milk – 1 cup
1. Cook pidi karunai with required water in a pressure cooker for one whistle. Once pressure is released open, remove skin, chop it into circular pieces and keep it ready.
2. Extract one cup of coconut milk and keep it ready.
3. Heat one tsp of veg oil in a fry pan. Add cumin seeds when it is hot.
4. When it splutters add chopped onion and sauté.
5. When it turns pale add chopped garlic and sauté. Next add chopped tomatoes ad sauté.
6. When tomatoes becomes mushy add all the spice powder along with salt and tamarind paste and mix well.
7. Add one cup of water, close with a lid and cook well all the ingredients together.
8. Now add cooked and sliced pidi karunai kizhangu to it.
9. Leave it in medium flame for 2-3 minutes till gravy becomes thick.
10. Finally add coconut milk and keep in low flame for 1-2 minutes.
11. Switch off no transfer to a serving bowl. Garnish with little butter and chopped coriander. This can be served as side dish with parathas, naan, kulcha and roti.