Wheat Idiyappam flour preparation | wheat Idiyappam is very easy to prepare and a healthy recipe that can be served for breakfast or dinner. Here we dry roast wheat in a fry pan little by little till it turns colour and gives a fine flavour, cool down to room temperature and grind into a fine powder in a flour mill. We can add water, mix well and we can make idiyappam in a kitchen press and we will get soft Idiyappam. You can serve this idiyappam with sweetened coconut milk or with ghee, sugar and grated coconut or you can do seasoning and serve along with sambar, kosumalli or any kuruma.
Wheat Idiyappam flour preparation | wheat Idiyappam – Ingredients:-
- wheat / godhumai – 1 kg
- kitchen press / idiyappa kattai – 1
- water – as needed
- salt – to taste (optional)
1. Buy one kilogram of wheat, clean and divide it into 4 equal parts. Heat a fry pan in a stove, put one fourth of wheat and dry roast it in medium flame.
2. When the wheat turns colour with brown or black dots in it, you will get a nice flavour and you will also get the pop up sound. You can stop at this stage and transfer it to a wide bowl.
3. In the same way you dry roast the other three portions too. Allow it to cool to room temperature by spreading on a news paper or a wide bowl.
4. Now grind it to a fine powder in a flour mill. You can sieve the flour using a fine mesh.
5. Store this flour in containers and use it when ever you are in need. Now let us see how to prepare Idiyappam. Take one cup of flour in a bowl. Add salt if you need it. I did not add because I serve it with sweetened coconut milk. Add water (do not add hot water. It will not work out) as needed and mix well to get a soft flour mix little softer than a chapathi flour.
6. Put it in an Idiyappam press and make Idiyappam in an idli or Idiyappam pan.
7. Cook under steam for 7 to 8 minutes.
8. When it is well cooked it will turn to a little darker colour.
9. Now transfer to a plate after sprinkling little water.
10. You can serve this idiyappam with sweetened Coconut milk . To prepare sweetened coconut milk, you can add sugar or jaggery or palm sugar to plain coconut milk and mix well. Put Idiyappam in milk in a cup and serve.
11. You can also add ghee, powdered sugar and grated coconut, mix well and serve.
12. You can break the Idiyappam in a bowl, do seasoning with one tsp of oil, mustard seeds, urad dal, slit green chilly, curry leaves and add to Idiyappam along with salt and lemon juice. Mix well and serve with Chettinad Breakfast Sambar or Chettinad Kosumalli.
Try out this recipe and give your feedback. If you like this recipe share it with your friends. Like and subscribe for latest recipes in my blog. Thank you for visiting.