Vendhaya Keeraii Chutney recipe is given with step by step photos. “Vendhaya keerai” in Tamil, “Methi” in Hindi has a lot of health benefits. It is a good source of Iron and Fibre. Fenugreek leaves are useful to cut down Cholesterol levels, lowers blood sugar for diabetes, helpful to reduce heart problems, and also useful in skin care.
This chutney made out of fenugreek leaves can be served as side dish for Idli , dosa and rice . I thank my sister Vasumathy Ramasamy for teaching me this wonderful recipe. Now I share the recipe with you.
Preparation Time:- 20 minutes
To Serve:- 4 persons
Vendhaya Keeraii Chutney recipe – Ingredients:-
- Methi / vendhaya keerai / fenugreek leaves – 1 bunch
- Tomato / thakkali – 1 no
- Red chillies / vara milagai – 3 no
- Toor dal / thuvaram paruppu – 1 tblsp
- Black Pepper / milagu – 1 tsp
- Cumin seeds / seeragam – 1 tsp
- Grated coconut – 1 tblsp
- Tamarind Paste / puzhi – lemon size
- Salt / uppu – to taste
Vendhaya Keeraii Chutney recipe – Ingredients For Seasoning:-
- Oil- 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds / kadugu – 1/2 tsp
1. Remove methi leaves from stem wash well and keep it ready.
2. Fry methi leaves in a tsp of oil and keep aside.
3. Fry toor dal, cumin seeds, pepper and red chillies, separately in another tsp of oil.
4. Add tomato and coconut to it and sauté.
5. Cool fried spices and methi to room temperature and grind along with tamarind and salt.
6. This chutney should not be very thick because it tastes bitter. So by adding 1 cup of water to the chutney make it watery.
7. Heat 1 tsp of oil in a pan and add mustard seeds,.
8. When it pops add the chutney and when starts boiling switch off the stove.
9. Serve with iddli, dosa, rice etc.
For other chutney varieties in my website click on the links below