Vendhaya Keeraii Chutney recipe is given with step by step photos. “Vendhaya keerai” in Tamil, “Methi” in Hindi has a lot of health benefits. It is a good source of Iron and Fibre. Fenugreek leaves are useful to cut down Cholesterol levels, lowers blood sugar for diabetes, helpful to reduce heart problems, and also useful in skin care.
This chutney made out of fenugreek leaves can be served as side dish for Idli , dosa and rice . I thank my sister Vasumathy Ramasamy for teaching me this wonderful recipe. Now I share the recipe with you.
Preparation Time:- 20 minutes
To Serve:- 4 persons
A short video link for the recipe:-
Vendhaya Keeraii Chutney recipe – Ingredients:-
- Methi / vendhaya keerai / fenugreek leaves – 1 bunch
- Tomato / thakkali – 1 no
- Red chillies / vara milagai – 3 no
- Toor dal / thuvaram paruppu – 1 tblsp
- Black Pepper / milagu – 1 tsp
- Cumin seeds / seeragam – 1 tsp
- Grated coconut – 1 tblsp
- Tamarind Paste / puzhi – lemon size
- Salt / uppu – to taste
Vendhaya Keeraii Chutney recipe – Ingredients For Seasoning:-
- Oil- 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds / kadugu – 1/2 tsp
Vendhaya Keeraii Chutney recipe – Method of preparation:-
1. Firstly remove methi leaves from stem wash well and keep it ready.
2. Secondly fry methi leaves in one tea spoon of oil and keep aside.
3. Thirdly fry toor dal, cumin seeds, pepper and red chillies, separately in another tea spoon of oil.
4. Further add tomato and coconut to it and sauté.
5. After that cool fried spices and methi to room temperature and finally grind along with tamarind and salt.
6. This chutney should not be very thick because it tastes bitter. So by adding 1 cup of water to the chutney make it watery.
7. Heat one teaspoon of oil in a fry pan and add mustard seeds,.
8. When it pops add the chutney and when it starts boiling switch off the stove.
9. Serve with idli, dosa or rice.
For even more chutney varieties in my website click on the links below