vendhaya kali recipe | வெந்தய களி is a popular recipe in Tamil Nadu which will be generally prepared when a girl attains puberty or if she is pregnant. “Vendhayam” is the tamil name for fenugreek seeds or methi seeds. This is a very healthy recipe with vendhayam, which is a natural coolant especially during summer days. Don’t miss – Kambu Kali and keppai kool.
Know more about vendhayam through the link – fenugreek wikipedia.
Ingredients:- (200ml cup used)
- idli rice – 1/4 cup
- raw rice / pacharisi – 1 tsp
- urad dal / ulundham paruppu – 1 tsp
- vendhayam / fenugreek seeds / methi seeds – 2 tsps
- jaggery / vellam – 1 cup
- gingely oil / nal ennai – 2 tsps
- ghee / nei – 1 tsp
1. Wash and soak idli rice, raw rice, vendhayam and urad dal in water for 2-3 hours.
2. Grind it in a wet grinder into a slightly coarse batter. The batter will increase in volume and will be fluffy because of vendhayam after grinding.
3. Add one cup of water and make the batter to a dosa consistency.
4. Pour it in a fry pan and keep it in low flame and start stirring continuously. Stirring from the beginning till the end is a must while preparing this dish. Because if you leave gap the dish will stick to the bottom of the pan and will form lumps.
5. In another pan add jaggery and add one cup of water along with cardomom powder and boil till jaggery melts.
6. When jaggery melts filter it through a sieve to remove the impurities.
7. When vendhaya kali batter becomes thick add filtered jaggery to it.
8. Again stir continuously without forming any lumps.
9. When vendhaya kali thickens and come to halwa consistency add two tsps of gingely oil and stir again.
10. Finally add one tsp of ghee and switch off the stove.
11. Transfer vendhaya kali to a serving bowl and serve. It will be a tasty, healthy recipe for everyone in the family.