Chettinad vendaikkai-Mochai Mandi | வெண்டைக்காய் மொச்சை மண்டி is a special recipe which you can prepare and serve as side dish along with meals. Mandi, is the special name given to this dish because of the rice rinsed water ( Mandi ) used in this dish. People who have tasted this will go crazy towards this dish.
Other names for Vendaikkai are Okra/ Bhindi/ Lady’s finger and for mochai are field beans. To know about the health benefits of lady’s fingers click – health benefits of okra
Preparation Time:- 30 minutes
To Serve:- 2
A short video for preparing the recipe:-
Chettinad vendaikkai-Mochai Mandi – Ingredients:-
- lady’s fingers / vendaikkai – 1/4 kg
- Mochi / field beans – 1 cup (if it is dry mochai, soak it in water overnight and pressure cook for 3 whistles)
- sambar onions / chinna vengayam – 1 cup (if not available use 1 big onion)
- garlic / poondu – 1/2 cup
- green chillies – 4 to 5
- tomato – 1 (chopped)
- potato – 1 (chopped) / optional
Arisi mandi – 2 cups (rinse rice in water and collect the water in a bowl and filter it to remove the impurities in it. This can be taken from the rice for cooking or when we rinse rice for preparing idli batter)
- Tamarind / puzhi – lemon size soaked in water and juice taken.
- Salt / uppu – to taste
- Turmeric powder / manjal podi – 1/2 tsp
Chettinad vendaikkai-Mochai Mandi – Ingredients for Seasoning:-
- Oil – 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds / kadugu – 1 tsp
- Asafoetida / perungayam – 1/4 tsp
- Curry leaves / karuvepilai – few
Chettinad vendaikkai-Mochai Mandi – Method of preparation:-
1. Firstly soak mochai in water overnight or for 6-8 hours.
2. Secondly cook it in pressure cooker with required water for 5 minutes after a whistle so that it will be cooked well.
3. Thirdly heat one tea spoon of oil in a fry pan and add mustard seeds, and when it splutters, add urad dal, and when it turns golden add asafoetida and curry leaves. Similarly add green chillies, onion, garlic and sauté for few minutes.
4. Further add lady’s finger and sauté for few more minutes.
5. After that add potatoes and tomato and sauté again. If you use fresh mochai / field beans you can add along with potato.
6. Finally add one cup of arisi mandi and turmeric powder and close the lid. Allow it to cook for 10 minutes.
7. Open the lid, and if potatoes and lady’s finger gets cooked well add cooked mochai to it and the remaining arisi mandi, tamarind water, and check for salt. Add salt if needed.
8. Let it be in sim for 6-8 minutes. Check the consistency – it should not be very thick or watery. It should be in the form of semi solid. This can be served with rice, phulkas, idli or dosa.