Ven Pongal recipe | raw rice | moong dal is a very simple and easy recipe which can be prepared for breakfast or dinner. It is prepared using raw rice and moong dal. Do not prefer to eat it in hotels, as they mostly use dalda instead of ghee, which is not good for health.
Preparation Time:- 20 minutes
To Serve:- 2 person
- raw rice/ pacharisi – 1 cup
- moong dal/ paasi paruppu – 1/2
(Raw rice : moong dal, 2:1 in ratio)
- water – 5 to 6 cups
- salt/ uppu – to taste (approximately 1.5 tsp)
- cashew nuts/ mundhiri paruppu – 10 to 12 number
- black pepper corns/ milagu – 1.5 tsp
- cumin seeds/ seegam 1.5 tsp
- ginger/ inji – 1 tsp
- curry leaves/ karuvepilai – few
- ghee/ nei – 2 tsp
1. Dry roast rice in a pan till it is hot to touch. (Lightly – colour should not change)
2. Dry roast moong dal separately till it is hot to touch. (Here too the colour should not be changed)
3. Transfer both rice and moong dal to a pressure cooker and add salt.
4. Add 5 or 6 cups of water according to the variety of rice. (If it’s new – 5, if it’s old – 6 cups)
5. Close the lid and cook in medium flame for 3-4 whistles, or 3-4 minutes after a whistle.
6. Fry cashew nuts in ghee till it turns golden brown, and keep separately.
7. Heat ghee in a pan, add ginger (chopped) and fry for one minute. Next add black pepper, cumin seeds, and when it splutters add curry leaves.
8. Transfer to the cooked Pongal in the cooker along with cashew nuts and mix thoroughly.
9. Serve with coconut chutny or sambar.