Ven Pongal recipe | raw rice | moong dal is a very simple and easy recipe which can be prepared for breakfast or dinner. It is prepared using raw rice and moong dal. Do not prefer to eat it in hotels, as they mostly use dalda instead of ghee, which is not good for health.
Preparation Time:- 20 minutes
To Serve:- 2 person
A short video link for the recipe:-
Ven Pongal recipe – Ingredients:-
- raw rice / pacharisi – 1 cup
- moong dal / paasi paruppu – 1/2
(Raw rice : moong dal, 2:1 in ratio)
- water – 5 to 6 cups
- salt / uppu – to taste (approximately 1.5 tsp)
- cashew nuts / mundhiri paruppu – 10 to 12 number
- black pepper corns / milagu – 1.5 tsp
- cumin seeds / seegam 1.5 tsp
- ginger / inji – 1 tsp
- curry leaves / karuvepilai – few
- ghee / nei – 2 tsp
Ven Pongal recipe – Method of preparation:-
1. Firstly dry roast rice in a fry pan till it is hot to touch. In other words it should be roasted lightly so that the colour of the rice should not change.
2. Secondly dry roast moong dal separately till it is hot to touch. Here too the colour should not be changed.
3. After that transfer both rice and moong dal to a pressure cooker and add salt.
4. Further add 5 to 6 cups of water according to the variety of rice. (If it is new – 5 and if it is old – 6 cups)
5. Close the lid and cook in medium flame for 3-4 whistles, or 3-4 minutes after you get a whistle.
6. Fry cashew nuts in ghee till it turns golden brown, and keep separately.
7. Finally heat ghee in a fry pan and add ginger (chopped) and fry for one minute. Next add black pepper, cumin seeds, and when it splutters add curry leaves.
8. Transfer to the seasoning into the cooker along with cashew nuts and mix thoroughly.
9. Serve with coconut chutny or sambar.