Vegetable momos recipe | Kaaikari Kolukattai is prepared with cabbage and carrots flavoured with salt, pepper, vinegar and soya sauce. Out cover is prepared with maida, salt and baking powder. These momos were cooked under steam in a Idiyappam pan and served with tomato ketchup. This is a healthy yummy snacks which can be prepared for school kids. We have already prepared many Kolukattai items like Aval inippu kolukattai, Paal kolukattai, Inippu kolukattai, Fried wheat flour Sweet Modak, Sesame sweet Modak , Salted Mani Kolukattai, Uppu Kolukattai.
For outer cover:- (200 ml cup used)
- maida / all purpose flour – 2 cup
- salt – 1/2 tsp
- baking powder – 1/2 tsp
- cabbage – 1 cup (grated)
- carrot – 1 cup (grated)
- onion – 1/2 cup (finely chopped)
- garlic / poondu – 1 tblsp (finely chopped)
- ginger / inji – 1/2 tsp (finely chopped)
- salt – 1/2 tsp
- pepper / milagu thool – 1/4 tsp
- soya sauce – 1/2 tsp
- Vinegar – 1/4 tsp
1. Mix maida, salt and baking powder.
2. Add water and knead well to form a stiff dough.
3. Heat one tsp of oil in a fry pan and add chopped onion. Sauté for few minutes till it turns pale.
4. Next add chopped garlic and ginger and sauté again.
5. Now add grated cabbage and carrot and fry. Close and let it cook in low flame for five minutes.
6. Once when it is 3/4th cooked, switch off the stove and add salt, pepper, soya sauce and vinegar.
7. Now we will prepare the outer cover. Take ball size of dough and roll it and cut to form round with 5″ diameter.
8. Place one tblsp of vegetable filling prepared in the center.
9. Bring the edges together and cover the filling. Twist and seal and remove the extra dough from top.
10. Make many such momos with all the maida and vegetable filling. Cook it under steam for 10 minutes in an Idiyappam pan.
11. Serve hot with tomato ketchup.