Vegetable idli recipe is a healthy breakfast which we prepare with rice, urad dal, vegetables and salt. These idlis are colourful with vegetables of different colours. These idlis will attract kids. Idli is a traditional breakfast in South Indian households. Idli is a savoury cake which is popular throughout India and neighbouring countries like Sri Lanka. The fermentation process breaks down the starches and so that they are more readily metabolized by the body. To know more click idli – Wikipedia
Vegetable idli recipe – Ingredients:-
- idli batter / idli maavu – 3 cups – delicious Idli batter preparation
- Vegetables – carrot, beans, peas, mirchi, cabbage, corn, potato (take 2 cups of vegetables of your choice)
- salt – to taste
Vegetable idli recipe – Method of preparation:-
1. Firstly chop vegetables of your choice into small cubes of equal size. It will be attractive in different colours.
2. Secondly heat one tea spoon of oil in a fry pan. Sauté all the vegetables for 2-3 minutes. Allow the vegetables to be half cooked. Add 1/2 a tea spoon of salt and mix well. (We have salt already in idli batter. So adjust accordingly)
3. Thirdly add these fried vegetables to idli batter.
4. Further mix lightly, but do not beat too much as you do for dosa batter.
5. Heat water in a idli pan. Put a muslin cloth over the idli moulds. Pour one spoon of the batter in each hallow. Close and cook in steam for 10 minutes.
6. Idli’s should be cooked well under steam. You can remove it after 10 minutes.
7. Finally sprinkle little water and transfer idlis from idli pan to a plate.
8. Serve idli’s with any chutney or idli podi. Usually idli’s will be served in two.
For more idli varieties in my website click on