- vazhaithandu – 1/2 feet
- mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- urad dal – 1 tsp
- asafoetida – 1/2 tsp
- dry red chillies – 2-3
- tamarind – 1/2 lemon size
- salt – to taste
1. Chop vazhaithandu into small pieces and put in water mixed with little buttermilk.
2. Heat one tsp of oil in a pan.
3. Add mustard seeds, and when it splutters ass urad dal. When it turns golden yellow, add asafoetida and red chillies.
4. Now add vazhaithandu (after draining water) and fry till much of water in it evaporates.
5. Switch off the stove, cool to room temperature and grind well adding tamarind and salt.
6. Serve along with idli or dosa.