Vazhaithandu thyvaiyal | Plantain stem chutney is a tasty chutney or thuvaiyal prepared with plantain stem. It helps in kidney stone treatment. We have already prepared many chutneys which are of medicinal value for example horse gram chutney for weight loss, methi chutney for diabetic, fennel leaves chutney which helps in digestion, herbal green thuvaiyal, Pudina thuvaiyal and coriander thuvaiyal, with coriander-curry leaves-pudina for digestion and to improve eyesight. Links at the end of this recipe. Know even more details about the health benefits of plantain stem by clicking the link – 15 health benefits of plantain stem
We have already prepared Vazhaithandu poriyal recipe.
Vazhaithandu thyvaiyal Plantain stem – Ingredients:-
- vazhaithandu / plantain stem – 1/2 feet
- mustard seeds / Kadugu – 1/2 tsp
- urad dal / ulundham paruppu – 1 tsp
- asafoetida / perungayam – 1/4 tsp
- dry red chillies – 2-3 number
- curry leaves / karuvepilai – few
- tamarind / puzhi – 1/2 lemon size
- salt – to taste
Vazhaithandu thyvaiyal Plantain stem – Method of preparation:-
1. First of all chop vazhaithandu into small pieces and put in water mixed with little buttermilk. We usually follow is the method while chopping vazhaithandu because it prevents the vegetable from changing colour.
2. Secondly heat one tea spoon of oil in a fry pan and add mustard seeds, and when it splutters add urad dal. When urad dal turns golden yellow, add asafoetida, red chillies and curry leaves one by one.
3. After that drain the water in the vazhaithandu completely and put it in the fry pan. Sauté till excess water in it evaporates and it becomes dry. Switch off the stove when it starts to stick to the fry pan.
4. Cool the fried ingredients to room temperature and finally grind well the fried ingredients along with required tamarind and salt.
5. You can serve this healthy chutney along with idli or dosa as side dish.
Even more chutney recipes with medicinal value in my website are as follows:-
and many more recipes at Poongodi.com/kitchen