Vazhaithandu thyvaiyal | Plantain stem chutney is a tasty chutney/ thuvaiyal prepared from plantain stem. It helps in kidney stone treatment. We have already prepared many chutneys which are of medicinal value, horse gram chutney for weight loss, methi chutney for diabetic, fennel leaves chutney which helps in digestion, herbal green thuvaiyal, Pudina thuvaiyal and coriander thuvaiyal, with coriander-curry leaves-pudina for digestion and to improve eyesight. Links at the end of the recipe. For more details about the health benefits of plantain stem click 15 health benefits of plantain stem
We have already seen Vazhaithandu poriyal recipe.
- vazhaithandu/ plantain stem – 1/2 feet
- mustard seeds/ Kadugu – 1/2 tsp
- urad dal/ ulundham paruppu – 1 tsp
- asafoetida/ perungayam – 1/4 tsp
- dry red chillies – 2-3 number
- curry leaves / karuvepilai – few
- tamarind/ puzhi – 1/2 lemon size
- salt – to taste
1. Chop vazhaithandu into small pieces and put in water mixed with little buttermilk. (This is the method usually followed, while chopping vazhaithandu because it prevents the vegetable from changing colour)
2. Heat one tsp of oil in a fry pan. Add mustard seeds, and when it splutters add urad dal. When it turns golden yellow, add asafoetida, red chillies and curry leaves.
3. Now add vazhaithandu (after draining water) and fry till water in it evaporates completely and it becomes dry. Stop before it sticks to pan.
4. Switch off the stove, cool to room temperature and grind well adding tamarind and salt.
5. Serve along with idli or dosa as side dish.
For other chutney recipes with medicinal value in my website click on the links below
and many more recipes at Poongodi.com/kitchen