Vazhaithandu thayir pachadi | banana stem Raita recipe is prepared with banana stem and curd which is very healthy. We add seasonings of mustards seeds, urad dal, asafoetida, chopped green chilly, chopped curry leaves and salt to enhance its taste. “vazhaithandu” in tamil, is a good source of dietary fiber and rich in potassium. Helps to regulate blood pressure, cures anemia, cleanses urinary tract, treats diabetes, controls acidity,burns belly fat, aids bowl movement, prevents kidney stones, controls weight and detoxifies body. We have already prepared Vazhaithandu thyvaiyal, Vazhaithandu poriyal.
- vazhaithandu / banana stem – 1/2 feet piece
- coconut oil / thengai ennai – 1 tsp
- mustard seeds / kadugu – 1/2 tsp
- urad dal / ulundham paruppu – 1 tsp
- asafoetida / perungayam – pinch
- green chilly / pachai milagai – 1 (chopped)
- curry leaves / karuvepilai – few (chopped)
- curd / thayir – 1/2 cup
- salt / uppu – to taste
1. Take water in a bowl and add one tsp of buttermilk to it to put the chopped banana stem, so that it will not change colour. Chop banana stem to very thin round slices.
2. Now keep it one above the other and chop it into very small square pieces.
3. Press with your hands and remove water completely and put it in a bowl. Add curd and salt to it. Mix well and check for taste.
4. Heat one tsp of coconut oil in a fry pan. Add mustard seeds and when it splutters add urad dal. When it turns golden add asafoetida, chopped green chilly and chopped curry leaves. Switch off the stove.
5. Pour it into the raita and mix well. Refrigerate it for few hours and serve chilled.