Varagu arisi Ven Pongal | வரகு அரிசி வெண்பொங்கல் preparation method is the same as we prepare with rice. Here we use varagu arisi/kodo millet instead of rice. This is a tasty breakfast consumed with coconut chutney or sambar in south India. To know more about kudo millet click on details about the millet. Prepare this tasty breakfast, following the easy steps given below.
- varagu arisi/kodo millet – 1 cup
- moong dal – 1/4 cup
- ginger – 1 inch piece (finely chopped)
- milk – 1 cup
- water 3 cup
- salt – to taste
milk : water in a ratio of 1:3
- ghee – 1 tblsp
- black pepper – 1/2 tsp
- cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- curry leaves – few
- broken cashew nuts – few
1. Wash and soak varagu arisi in water for 10 minutes.
2. Dry roast moong dal in a pan until it is hot to touch.
3. Add milk and water with required salt and chopped ginger in a pressure cooker.
4. Add soaked varagu arisi, roasted moong dal and keep it for 2 whistles.
5. When pressure is released, heat ghee in another pan, add black pepper, cumin seeds and when it splutters, add curry leaves and broken cashews and fry. When it turns golden yellow pour it in pongal. Serve hot with coconut chutney.
For Other related recipes in my website you can click on the links below