Varagu arisi Puliyodharai recipe | Kudo millet tamarind rice can be prepared in the same way as we prepare Puliyodharai from rice. Can be used for evening time snack along with pappad.
- varagu arisi – 1 cup
- ground nut – 2 tsp
- turmeric powder/ manjal thool – 1/2 tsp
- tamarind juice/ puzhi – lemon size tamarind (juice extracted)
- salt – to taste
- red chillies/ vara milagai – 6 number
- coriander seeds/ malli – 2 tsp
- channa dal/ kadalai paruppu – 2 tsp
- fenugreek seeds/ vendhayam – 1 tsp
- red chillies/ vara milagai – 5 number (cut into three pieces each)
- curry leaves/ karuvepilai – few
- mustard seeds/ kadugu – 1 tsp
- urad dal/ ulundham paruppu – 1 tsp
- asafoetida/ perungayam – 1/2 tsp
- veg oil – 2 tsp
- channa dal/ kadalai paruppu – 2 tsp (soaked in water)
1. Dry roast the ingredients given under to grind.
2. Cool down to room temperature and grind in a mixie.
3. Dry roast ground nuts and remove skin.
4. Cook varagu arisi in water and when it is done drain excess water through a sieve.
5. Add one tsp of oil and spread in a bowl and cool down.
6. Heat 2 tsp of oil in a fry pan. Add mustard seeds and when it splutters add urad dal and asafoetida. Now add soaked channa dal, curry leaves, roasted ground nut and cut red chillies. Sauté for a few minutes. Add turmeric powder, salt and tamarind juice. Add 3/4 th of ground powder and leave it for few minutes. When it becomes thick and oil separates, pour in cooked varagu rice.
7. Add the remaining powder and mix well.
8. Check for taste and serve along with pappad or vadai.
For other recipes with varagu arisi in my website click on the following links