Vaalakkai sambar recipe | raw banana sambar is a tasty sambar prepared to serve as side dish for rice , Idli or dosa . We prepare this sambar with onion, tomato, raw banana, cooked toor dal, sambar powder, turmeric powder, tamarind extract and salt. Tempering is done with gingely oil, mustard seeds, urad dal, asafoetida and curry leaves. We have already prepared a few dishes with raw banana such as Kacha Kela ki sabji, Vaalaikkai poriyal, Vaalaikkai Masala and Chettinad vaalakkai kola urundai.
Vaalakkai sambar recipe – Ingredients:-
- vaalaikkai / raw banana – 1 number
- onion – 1 number (chopped)
- tomato – 1 number (chopped)
- sambar powder – 1 tsp Authentic Chettinad Sambar Powder Preparation
- turmeric powder / manjal podi – 1/4 tsp Turmeric powder preparation
- tamarind paste / puzhi – 1 tsp Tamarind Paste Preparation
- toor dal / thuvaram paruppu – 1 cup (cooked)
- salt – to taste
Vaalakkai sambar recipe – Ingredients for seasoning:-
- gingely oil / nal ennai – 1 tsp
- mustard seeds / kadugu – 1/2 tsp
- urad dal / ulundham paruppu – 1 tsp
- asafoetida / perungayam – pinch
- curry leaves / karuvepilai – few
Vaalakkai sambar recipe – Method of preparation:-
1. First of all remove skin and chop vaalaikkai into small square pieces and put it in water.
2. Secondly heat one tea spoon of gingely oil in a fry pan and add mustard seeds. When it splutters add urad dal and when it turns golden add curry leaves and chopped onion. Sauté for few minutes and add chopped tomato.
3. Sauté tomatoes until they become mushy for few minutes and add chopped vaalaikkai.
4. Fry for 2 minutes and add one cup of water. Close and cook for few minutes. It will be cooked soon. When it becomes soft add tamarind, turmeric powder, sambar powder and salt.
5. Mix well and cook in low flame for one minutes. Finally add cooked toor dal.
6. Again keep in low flame for few minutes till all ingredients merge together. Transfer to a bowl, add one tea spoon of ghee and serve.