Turmeric powder preparation | Home made manjal podi is prepared from fresh turmeric roots during its season. Turmeric roots are chopped, cooked and dried well in sunlight and powdered. We use turmeric powder in almost all our dishes and so it is important to prepare turmeric powder at home which will be more healthier. The flavour and smell of home made turmeric powder will be amazing. Store bought turmeric powder gives a bright yellow colour when compared to home made turmeric powder. It is because they usually add food colours in it.
We have already prepared some podi varieties such as Authentic Chettinad Sambar Powder, Chettinad Milagu podi, Chettinad idli | dosai podi, Ellu Podi, Biriyani masala powder, Maharashtrian Goda Masala, Health mix powder and drumstick leaves powder.
Preparing turmeric powder with raw turmeric roots – Ingredients:-
- raw turmeric roots – 2 kgs
Turmeric powder preparation – Method of preparation with fresh roots:-
1. Firstly wash the turmeric roots well in running water to remove mud particles if any.
2. Secondly chop them into circular pieces.
3. Further boil water in a container and put chopped turmeric roots. Let it boil for 15-20 minutes till it becomes soft. Filter it to separate turmeric roots and boiled water. Dry them in sunlight.
4. You can continue the drying process until the moisture in it goes completely. The number of days depends upon the season. It may take even 8-10 days. Once when water content in it has gone completely and it becomes dry and crisp, grind it in a rice mill to get a fine powder. You can store this powder in glass bottles and use throughout the year till next season.
Turmeric powder preparation with dried roots – Ingredients:-
- dried turmeric roots – 1 kg
Turmeric powder preparation – Method of preparation with dried roots:-
1. Even dried turmeric needs to be dried in sunlight. So you should dry them in sunlight at first.
2. Turmeric has to be broken and you can use “ammikal” (any hard instrument) for breaking it. Spread the broken pieces in a plate and dry it in sunlight until it becomes crisp.
3. Grind it into a fine powder through a mill. Store it in glass jars.