Tomato rice recipe | Thakkali Sadham | Vegetarian recipe is prepared with the taste of tomatoes with rice and spices. A good tiffin box recipe that can be prepared specially for travelling. Tomatoes will be mostly available at home and can be prepared easily. Simple to cook, easy to carry in lunch boxes and have a delicious taste.
We have already prepared vetrilai sadham | paan rice, Coconut rice | Thengai Sadham, Lemon Rice, Pudina Rice, Kovil puliyodharai | tamarind rice, Coriander Rice recipe | Kothamalli sadham, Thayir Sadham | curd rice and Green Peas Pulao.
Preparation Time:- 20 minutes
To Serve:- 2 persons
- raw rice/ pacharisi – 1 cup (you can choose any type of rice. Here I’ve chosen broken rice) approximately 180 grams cup
- onion – 2 (chopped lengthwise)
- tomatoes – 4 (chopped)
- green chillies – 2 (slit)
- red chilly powder / milagai podi – 1/3 tsp
- turmeric powder / manjal podi – 1/4 tsp
- garam masala powder – 1/4 tsp
- ginger garlic paste / inji Poondu paste – 1 tsp
- salt / uppu – to taste
- Oil – 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds / kadugu – 1/2 tsp
- Asafoetida / perungaayam – 1/4 tsp
- Curry leaves / karuvepilai – few
1. Chop onions lengthwise, and grind tomatoes in a mixie.
2. Cook rice and drain water.
3. Heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds, and when it splutters add asafoetida and curry leaves.
4. Add onion, and fry till it turns pale. Next add green chillies and ginger garlic paste.
5. Now add ground tomatoes, and sauté for few minutes.
6. Now add red chilly powder, turmeric powder, salt and sauté.
7. When it comes to a jelly like consistency, add garam masala.
8. Switch off the stove, add cooked rice, mix well and check for taste.
9. Garnish with chopped coriander and serve.