Tips | home made asafoetida powder | perungayam | hing powder can be very easily prepared at home which will be more healthy and hygienic. Solid asafoetida is bought, sun dried and powdered at home. We use asafoetida almost in all our recipes which is very helpful in digestion. It is always good and healthy if we make the powders at home. It is very important to buy the original product and powder it at home. Asafoetida powders available in stores contains 60% of gums it seems.
We have already prepared many powders at home such as Biriyani masala powder, Authentic Chettinad Sambar Powder, Chettinad idli | dosai podi, Chettinad Milagu podi, murungai keerai podi and Maharashtrian Goda Masala powder.
Today let us see how to prepare this healthy asafoetida powder at home.
- asafoetida / perungayam – 100 grams
1. Dry store bought asafoetida cubes in sunlight for 2 days till it becomes very dry.
2. First break it into pieces using a pestle and motor or in an “ammikkal” to smaller pieces.
3. Then powder it in a mixie, so that it will be fine in texture.
4. Store it in a container and use when ever needed in your cooking. It helps the food to digest easily. So we use it in most of our recipes along with mustard seeds and urad dal while we do seasoning for the dishes.