Thirupati laddu recipe | boondi laddu with step by step photos to prepare at home. Thirupati boondi laddu is one of the most precious prasadham for devotees. This is the traditional method of preparing Thirupati laddu which originated from Andhra Pradesh and popular all over India. Now a days people prepare this laddu on diwali and on all other occasions to give the guests along with return gifts. Other laddu recipes in my link are
Thirupati laddu recipe | boondi laddu – Notes:-
- Thirupati laddu is made by frying the boondi in ghee. You can also fry in oil.
- You should get little practice while preparing the batter for boondi. If you get the boondi little lengthwise – your batter is thick. If it is flat – your batter is watery. You will learn to mix batter and get round ball like boondi by practice.
- Edible camphor / pachai karpooram is used here in this laddu for its flavour. If you do not get the original pachai karpooram, you can skip off adding this.
- Make laddu when the sugar syrup is absorbed completely and still warm when you touch.
- Grind 1/4 th of boondi who make laddu easily.
- Shape the laddus for the second time to get it perfect.
Ingredients:- For boondi batter:- (200 ml cup used)
- gram flour / kadalai maavu – 1 cup
- water – 1/2 to 3/4 cup
- boondi spoon
- ghee / nei – deep frying (Thirupati laddu is made with ghee. You can also use oil)
- cardomom powder / elakkai podi – 1/2 tsp
- cashew nuts / mundhiri paruppu – 10 – 12 number
- dry grapes / kismis – 10 – 12 number
- kalkkandu – 1 tblsp (optional)
- cloves / kirambu – 5 number
- edible camphor / pachai karpooram – pinch
For sugar syrup:-
- sugar / seeni – 1 to 1.25 cups
- water – 3/4 cup
Thirupati laddu recipe | boondi laddu:-
Method:- Making boondi:-
1. Add gram flour and water and mix well to form a free flowing batter. It should not be too thin or too thick. Check the video below for consistency.
2. Heat ghee or oil in a pan until hot. Pour little batter over the boondi ladle to check whether the consistency is correct. Refer video below. Pour one or two spoons of batter over the boondi ladle and spread it, so that the batter will fall down into the oil drop by drop and you will get round shaped boondi.
3. Stir and fry until the bubbles in the oil begin to reduce. Do not fry the boondi until crunchy.
4. Drain oil and take out the boondi and again put it in a filter to drain excess oil. Make such boondi with all the batter and collect it in a bowl.
A short video on preparing boondi to check the consistency of batter, making boondi with the ladle, shape of the boondi, frying and taking out of oil.
5. In the same ghee fry cashews to golden brown.
6. Next fry dry grapes until it pops up.
7. Fry cloves too.
8. Put fried cashew nuts, dry grapes and cloves into the boondi in the bowl.
Thirupati laddu recipe | boondi laddu – Making sugar syrup:-
1. Add water and sugar in a container. Mix cardomom powder and edible camphor.
2. Heat sugar mix until the sugar dissolves completely and you get a string consistency.
3. Pour it into the bowl containing fried boondi mix.
4. Mix well and set aside for 10 – 15 minutes until sugar syrup is absorbed by the boondi completely. Keep checking once in 2 minutes.
5. When boondi completely absorbs the sugar syrup and still warm, take a small portion of boondi and start to make laddu with your hands.
6. Make such laddus with all the boondi once as much as possible, roughly. If you feel it hard to make laddu, you can grind 1/4 th of boondi in a mixie and mix it with the remaining 3/4 th of boondi, to make the process easy.
7. After finishing all boondi for the first time, clean the sugar syrup in your hands, wipe it and again shape the laddus for the second time to get a perfect sphere shape.