Thirunelveli halwa recipe | wheat halwa | godhumai halwa is a popular sweet in south India. “iruttu kadai halwa” is a famous shop at Thirunelveli which sells this halwa. Here I have given the traditional way of making this tasty godhumai halwa by extracting milk from whole wheat grains and cooking in ghee by adding sugar, till it reaches the required consistency. At first try to prepare this halwa in small quantity and after you get practiced you may try to prepare in larger amount. We have already prepared Bread Halwa, Milk Halwa, Beetroot Halwa, Badam Halwa ,
chettinad aadikool | urad dal halwa, vendhaya kali | methi seeds halwa and Carrot Halwa. Now let us prepare this Thirunelveli halwa following the easy steps given below for this diwali .
Thirunelveli halwa recipe | wheat halwa | godhumai halwa:-
Ingredients:- (200 ml cup used)
- whole wheat / godhumai – 1/2 cups
- sugar / seeni – 1 cup
- ghee / nei – 1 cup
- cashew nuts – 10 number
1. Take one cup of wheat in a bowl.
2. Immerse in water for one night or for 8 hours.
3. Drain water and then grind it smoothly in a mixe jar by adding half a cup of water.
4. Now transfer it to a stainer and extract wheat milk. Filter by pressing it using a ladle. Now the husk will be left out in the filter.
5. Again grind the husk by adding 1/4 cup of water. Again filter it and take second milk. Throw away the left out husk. Keep the extracted wheat milk (first and second milk) in a bowl without disturbance for 2 to 3 hours.
6. Now you can see the clear water on top of the bowl and thick milk at the bottom.
7. Drain little clear water on top but not completely. If the milk is little watery it will be easy to prepare halwa without lumps.
Note:- if the milk is too thick it may form lumps.
8. Now take a heavy bottom pan and heat one tsp of ghee. Keep the stove in low flame and add wheat milk to the pan and stir continuously without forming lumps.
9. In few minutes it will reach porridge consistency.
10. Now add sugar and stir continuously.
11. It will melt again and it will loosen. Keep mixing for few more minutes. Switch off the stove and keep it aside. I have transferred it to a non-stick pan to make the processes easy.
12. In another pan heat one tsp of ghee and fry cashew nuts to golden brown.
13. Remove fried cashew nuts and keep aside.
14. In the same pan with the remaining ghee, add one tsp of sugar and mix.
15. At first it will melt.
16. Then it will change to golden brown colour.
17. Now switch off the stove. Keep the other pan containing halwa in the stove. Add this golden brown sugar (caramelised sugar) along with ghee to the pan.
18. Stir continuously. Though it will be crystal in the beginning it will dissolve completely in few minutes.
19. Now keep ghee nearby, and add one tsp of ghee at intervals and keep stirring the halwa.
20. When it turns to a jelly consistency in the pan and ghee separates without sticking to the pan add fried cashew nuts and mix well.
21. At this stage you can stop adding ghee and switch off the stove. Cool down for 10 to 15 minutes and transfer to the serving bowl or a box and serve.
If you like this recipe share it with your friends.