Chettinad thenkuzhal | செட்டிநாடு தேன்குழல், one of the famous evening snacks in Chettinad can be prepared and stored for nearly 1 month. When we were not able to prepare an evening snack for family members and when we get unexpected guests this snacks will helps us.
So try to learn preparing this easy snacks and enjoy its taste. It’s made of rice and dal and so it’ll not do any harm to your stomach. Thenkuzhal will be a healthy snacks too. Now let us see the method of preparation.
Preparation of Thenkuzhal maavu::-
- Raw rice/ pacharisi – 3 cups
- Urad dal/ ulundham paruppu – 1 cup
Dry roast urad dal for few minutes till its hot to touch and you get a nice flavour. Before it turns colour, switch off the stove. Let it cool for a few minutes. Now mix raw rice and roasted urad dal and grind it in a flour mill. Sieve it and collect in a container. You can use this flour when ever you prepare Thenkuzhal by adding salt, asafoetida and water. This can be stored for 6 months without refrigerating.
Preparation of thenkuzhal:-
- Thenkuzhal maavu – 4 cups
- Salt – to taste (approximately 1 tsp)
- asafoetida/ perungayam – pinch
- Water – as required
- Any vegetable oil – 1 lt for deep frying
Preparation of Thenkuzhal:-
1. Mix salt and asafoetida to the thenkuzhal maavu and make a dough using water little by little. In Chettinad we do not use cumin seeds or Omam.
4. Make long roll of dough.
7. When it is fried on one side turn the other side and fry. When the bubbles stop, it’ll be completely fried. Remove from oil, and keep it aside. Thenkuzhal maavu ground in Chettinad will not turn brown. It will be white in colour. It is because they have a separate machine to grind rice powders and wheat.