Thengai Maangai Pattani Sundal | Coconut Mango Peas snacks is very common in Marina beach, Chennai. Everyone of you might have tasted it. The combination of all the three coconut, mango and peas gives a wonderful taste to the recipe.
This can also be prepared for Navaratri prasadham for guests during Golu. Here we use white peas which will be dry and so we should soak it in water overnight and pressure cook the peas for three whistles. It should be well cooked but not mashy. It is very easy to prepare if you follow the method given below.
- white peas/ vellai pattani – 1 cup
- raw mango/ maangai – 1 greated
- coconut/ thengai – 2 pieces (chopped)
- green chilly/ pachai milagai – 1
- ginger/ inji – 1/2 inch
- salt/ uppu – to taste
- oil – 1 tsp
- mustard/ kadugu – 1/2 tsp
- urad dal/ ulundham paruppu – 1 tsp
- curry leaves/ karuvepilai – few
1. Soak white peas in water over night.
2. Cook soaked white peas with enough water in a pressure cooker for 2 whistles. Take care that it should not be mashy or uncooked. Once pressure is released open the cooker and drain water. The skin of some peas may come out as in the photo. Don’t worry, it’s the nature of peas. When you touch the peas should be soft.
3. Chop coconuts, ginger and green chilly at first.
4. Grind it coarsly in a mixie.
5. Remove skin and grate mango.
6. Heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds and when it splutters add urad dal and curry leaves.
7. Now add the ground mixture and sauté for a few minutes.
8. Next add cooked peas and sauté.
9. Now add grated mango pieces and sauté till no water is left out and peas becomes dry.
10. Switch off the flame, transfer to a bowl and keep it to goddess.
11. Distribute in paper cups.
Other sundals in my website are