Thandai recipe | Holi prasadham | Mumbai flavour is prepared during the colourful festival of Holi, a traditional drink, popular in the northern part of India. It is made with a mix of dry fruits, seeds and few spices. The word “thandai” is derived from the word “thanda” which means cool. It is very easy to prepare.
Know about the Holi festival.
- almonds – 5-6 number (skin removed)
- pistachios – 5-6 number
- cashew nuts – 5-6 number
- melon seeds – 2 tsp
- poppy seeds / Kush Kush – 1 tsp
- black pepper – 1/2 tsp
- green cardomom – 4 number
- nutmeg powder / jadhikkai – pinch
- saffron – pinch
- chilled milk – 1 glass
- sugar – 1/4 cup
- ice cubes – as required
- rose petals – few for garnishing
1. Take almonds (skin removed) cashew nuts, pistachios and melon seeds in a bowl.
2. Add poppy seeds, black pepper, nutmeg powder / jadhikkai and green cardomom.
3. Add one cup of warm water and keep it for 2 hours.
4. Filter and separate the soaked ingredients.
5. Remove skin from green cardomom and add the seeds to grind.
6. Grind it into a fine paste in a mixie.
7. Boil milk in a container. Add sugar.
8. Add 1/2 a cup of water to ground paste and mix well. Pour it into the milk and keep it in low flame for 5-10 minutes.
9. Cool down and refrigerate it. Garnish with rose petals and serve chilled with ice cubes if needed.