Tasty tomato dosai recipe | thakkali | தக்காளி தோசை is one variety of dosa prepared in South India using tomatoes, onion, chilly, aval, rice and dal varieties
Dosai is a South Indian dish prepared for break fast or dinner. There are so many varieties of dosai prepared using different ingredients to prepare the batter, such as wheat for wheat dosa, whole moong known as pesarattu, with mixed dals known as adai, onions with rice batter as uthappam. Here we are going to prepare thakkali/tomato dosai batter by adding tomatoes, chillies, ginger and cumin seeds.
Thakkali/tomato dosai is a different variety of dosai which tastes yummy. Thakkali dosai batter can be prepared in the afternoon, if we need dosai for dinner which is before 4 or 5 hours.
Cuisine: South Indian
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
To serve : 4 persons
- raw rice – 1.5 cups
- boiled rice – 1/2 cup
- urad dal – 2 tblsp
- toor dal – 2 tblsp
- fenugreek seeds – 1 tsp
- salt – to taste (approximately 1 tsp)
- Aval/poha/flattened rice- 1/2 cup
To grind separately:-
- tomatoes – 2 number
- green chillies – 2 number
- ginger / inji – 1 tsp
- cumin seeds / seeragam – 1 tsp
1. Soak all the ingredients in water for two hours except flattened rice. When urad dal starts to break open, you can grind the ingredients. It will tak around 2 hours.
2. Soak flattened rice before 10 minutes for grinding. Once when urad dal breaks open add aval/poha/flattened rice and wait for 10 minutes.
3. Grind separately tomatoes, chillies and ginger to a fine paste.
4. Mix both the ground items together and add chopped coriander leaves and make it into a dosa batter consistency in a container.
5. Make dosa in a dosa pan. Sprinkle oil and close with a lid. After 1 minute open the lid and turn the dosai to the other side. After it turns golden on both sides and cooked well, remove from dosa pan. Serve this delicious thakkali/tomato dosai along with desired chutney.
For other varieties click on the link below