Tamarind is the main ingredient used in South Indian cooking and we need it almost daily. So it is better to prepare this tamarind paste following the steps given in Tamarind Paste Preparation | Puzhi | புளி பேஸ்டு and store it in Refrigerator. Cost of tamarind paste will be high when purchased in shops and it contains preservatives which is not good for health. We can use this tamarind paste for sambars, rasams, chutny’s and save time during preparation of food. So you try to prepare this paste at home and store in refrigerator for few days. This lasts for 20 to 25 days when refrigerated. So learn the habit of using tamarind paste in your cooking and put it in refrigerator at once, after use.
Some people will add 2-3 tsp of salt to it. But even without salt this lasts upto 25 days for me. If you wish to add salt you can also do that, but remember adding less amount of salt to recipes while cooking. So you can prepare this paste following the easy steps given below and save a lot of time during your cooking process.
A short video link for tamarind paste preparation:-
Tamarind Paste Preparation – Ingredients:-
- tamarind / puzhi – ball size
- water – 1 cup
Tamarind Paste Preparation – Method of preparation:-
1. Firstly take a ball size (handful) of tamarind and soak it in one cup of water for 15 minutes.
2. Secondly mash the soaked tamarind well with your hands to take juice.
3. On the other hand take a vegetable sieve as shown in the photo and place it above a container.
4. Pour the content in the sieve and press with your hands or a spoon to get a thick paste in the container, and the tamarind waste on top.
5. Finally a thick tamarind paste will be collected in the container below the vegetable sieve.
6. Transfer the paste to a glass bottle and store in the refrigerator and you can use it when ever needed.
7. Add one more cup of water to the left out tamarind, take second juice and use that for the first one or two days.