Sweet tamarind dates chutney recipe | Red chutney chats can be used for many chaat items like Pani Puri , Punjabi Aloo Samosa , Onion Pakoda, Milagai Bajji , Masal vadai and Vegetable Cutlet. Tamarind dates chutney will be sweet in taste and can be refrigerated and used for 15 – 20 days. I used to make this chutney very often and regularly once in 15 days. Without dates it is known as “saunth chutney” in North India. It is made only with tamarind and dry ginger powder. This saunth chutney is also used while serving samosas and pakoras.
Street foods of Mumbai– click the link to know about the street foods and the use of sweet red chutney in it. Now let us see how to prepare this sweet red chutney which is also called as tamarind dates chutney in easy steps.
Sweet tamarind dates chutney recipe | Red chutney chats – Ingredients:- (200 ml cup used)
- seedless dates / pearichambalam – 1/2 cup (if dates were with seeds remove it)
- seedless tamarind / puzhi – 1/2 cup
- grated jaggery / vellam – 1/2 cup
- dried red chilly / vara milagai – 1
- roasted cumin / seeragam – 1 tsp
- ginger / inji – 1 tsp
- black salt – 1/2 tsp
- water – 2 cup
1. Boil seedless dates, tamarind, jaggery and red chilli with enough water in a container till jaggery melts.
2. Cool down to room temperature and grind these ingredients along with ginger, roasted cumin seeds and black salt into a fine paste.
3. Sieve it through a medium holed sieve (vegetable stainer will be the best) and throw away the husk left over. store it.
4. Now store the chutney in a container.
5. This chutney can be used in many chaat items.
For more chutney recipes do check