Certain vegetables can be cooked along with toor dal in the pressure cooker. If both the vegetable and the toor dal takes same time to cook we can follow the below method. One among those vegetables is green beans. So it is very easy to make South Indian Beans sambar recipe following the steps given below.
Bachelors can also prepare this sambar easily. Try this easy recipe which will take very less time for preparation.
Cuisine: South Indian
Preparation time: 20 minutes
To serve: 4 persons
South Indian Beans sambar recipe – Ingredients:-
- beans – 1/4 kg (chopped)
- onion – 1 (chopped)
- garlic – 3 pods
- tomato – 1 (chopped)
- toor dal – 1/2 cup
- tamarind paste – 1 tsp
- sambar powder – 1 tsp see Authentic Chettinad Sambar Powder Recipe
- turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- salt – to taste
South Indian Beans sambar – Ingredients for Seasoning:-
- any oil – 1 tsp
- mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
- urad dal – 1 tsp
- asafoetida – pinch
- curry leaves – few
- ghee – 1 tsp
South Indian Beans sambar – Method of preparation:-
1. Firstly, wash, clean, wipe and chop beans into one and a half inch pieces. Chop onion, tomato and garlic. Put all the vegetables together in a pressure cooker along with toor dal, turmeric powder, a drop of oil (to speed up the process of cooking) and water. Keep the stove in medium flame and cook for one whistle and switch of the stove.
2. Secondly once when pressure is released, add salt, sambar powder, tamarind paste, check for taste and boil again for five minutes till the raw smell of the sambar powder leaves and the sambar becomes thick.
3. On the other hand in another pan, heat one tea spoon of oil and add mustard seeds and when it splutters add urad dal. When it turns golden brown, add asafoetida and curry leaves.
4. Finally pour the seasoning in the sambar and one tea spoon of ghee in addition to increase the taste and flavour of the beans sambar. Serve as side dish for rice. This can also be served as side dish for idli or dosa.