Snake gourd Yogurt curry recipe | pudalangai thayir kootu is prepared using snake gourd, curd, coconut, red chillies and other spices. It tastes good with rice and chapathi.
- snake gourd/ pudalangai – 2 cups
- curd/ thayir – 2 cups
- coconut/ thengai – 1/2 cup
- mustard seeds/ kadugu – 1 tsp
- fenugreek seeds/ vendhayam – 1/4 tsp
- red chillies/ vara milagai – 6 to 7 number
- trmeric powder/ manjal thool – 1/4 tsp
- Salt/ uppu – to taste
1. Wash snake gourd, pat dry and cut into five or six inch pieces. Divide it into two lengthwise and remove the seeds. Cut again lengthwise, so that you will get four pieces in each. Now chop into small pieces as shown in the photo below..
2. Cook snake gourd with turmeric powder, salt and water.
3. Heat oil in pan and mustard, fenugreek seeds, red chillies and coconut till it is light brown. Cool down and grind all the fried ingredients together in a mixie.
4. Add the ground mixture to the cooking snake gourd in the pan.
5. Simmer for 2 minutes and remove from stove.
6. Beat the curd till smooth and add to the curry.
7. Heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds and when it splutters and urad dal and when it turns golden brown switch off the flame. Pour the seasoning to the curry prepared.
This yogurt curry can be served with rice and roti’s.