Snake gourd toor dal curry | pudalangai kootu recipe is a side dish prepared with snake gourd, onion, tomato, cooked toor dal, turmeric powder, sambar powder, tamarind and salt with enough water. This will be a healthy side dish for rice, roti and idli. We have already prepared few dishes with snake gourd such as
Today let us see how to cook snake gourd kootu.
- snake gourd / pudalangai – 1/4 kg
- onion – 1 (chopped)
- tomato – 1 (chopped)
- mustard seeds / kadugu – 1/2 tsp
- urad dal / ulundham paruppu – 1 tsp
- asafoetida / perungayam – pinch
- curry leaves / karuvepilai – few
- sambar Powder – 1 tsp
- turmeric powder / manjal thool – 1/4 tsp
- tamarind paste – 1/2 tsp
- salt – to taste
- cooked toor dal / thuvaram paruppu – 1 cup (200 ml cup used)
1. Clean and cut snake gourd, lengthwise and remove the seeds inside. Again cut into quarter lengthwise and chop into small pieces. Heat oil in a fry pan. Add mustard seeds and when it splutters add urad dal and when it turns golden add asafoetida.
2. Then add chopped onion and curry leaves. Fry for few minutes.
3. When onions turns pale add chopped tomatoes and sauté.
4. When tomatoes turns mushy add chopped snake gourd and sauté for few minutes. Add 1/2 a cup of water, close using a lid and cook for 2-3 minutes. When it is cooked well and snake gourd becomes soft add turmeric powder, sambar powder, tamarind paste and salt.
5. Again add a cup of water, mix well, close and cook till raw smell leaves the pan. Then add a cup of cooked toor dal.
7. Mix well, keep it in low flame for two minutes. Transfer to a serving bowl and serve as side dish along with rice.