Chettinad Pudalangai | Snake gourd kootu recipe | புடலங்காய் is another tasty Chettinad recipe prepared as side dish for rice. Snake gourd is a narrow, twisted, elongated fruit, which has an unpleasant odour and a slightly bitter taste, which disappears while cooking.
Here in this recipe we add moong dal to improve its taste. This is a tasty recipe most importantly which can be prepared according to our required consistency and serve along with rice. It will be very easy to prepare, if you try following the steps given below carefully.
Preparation time: 20 minutes
To serve: 4
Snake gourd kootu recipe – Ingredients:-
- snake gourd/ pudalangai – 1/4 kg
- onion – 1 tblsp ( chopped )
- green chillies – 2 (slit )
- moong dal/ paasi paruppu – 1/2 cup
- turmeric powder/ manjal thool – 1/4 tsp
- salt/ uppu – to taste
- cumin seeds/ seeragam – 1/2 tsp
- grated coconut – 1 tblsp
- Ghee/ nei – 1 tsp
- curry leaves/ karuvepilai – few
Snake gourd kootu recipe – Method:-
1. First of all wash and cut snake gourd into two lengthwise pieces and remove the seed part inside. Again cut it into two lengthwise pieces. Now you will get four lengthwise pieces. Then chop it into small pieces as shown in the photo below.
2. Secondly cook chopped snake gourd, moong dal, green chillies and onion with turmeric powder and enough water in low flame in a pan. Close with a lid and cook. Check in between opening the lid whether dal and the vegetable is cooked. After it gets well cooked in other words when dal will start to open and snake gourd becomes soft when touched, go to the next step.
3. Thirdly add salt needed and grated coconut and check for taste. Add more water if needed till you reach your required consistency. This dish can be thick or little watery according o your wish and finally switch off the flame once done.
4. After that in another pan heat one tea spoon of ghee and add cumin seeds and when it splutters add few curry leaves and pour this seasoning into the kootu. Finally serve this side dish with rice.
Even more dishes with snake gourd are there in my website.