Red rice/sivappu arisi is rich in fibre, iron, protein and other nutrients. It lowers high cholesterol,blood glucose, and prevent heart diseases. It is beneficial for liver, kidney, stomach and bone health. We add 4:1 in ratio cups of sivappu arisi and idli arisi. Here we add idli arisi to increase the taste of idli.
- arisi/red rice – 4 cups
- idli arisi/rice – 1 cup
- urad dal – 1 cup
- salt – to taste
1. Wash and soak sivappu arisi and idli arisi together in water for 2 hours.
2. Wash and soak urad dal separately in water for 2 hours.
3. Grind urad dal first in a wet grinder.
4. Grind arisi into a smooth batter. Now mix ground dal, rice and salt together with enough water and keep it overnight for fermentation.
5. After fermentation, you can make idli’s in an idli pan as usual. Put cloth in an idli pan and make idli’s without beating the batter.
6. Close it for 5-7 minutes and when it’s cooked well, sprinkle water, remove from pan, put upside down in a plate and remove the cloth.
7. Serve hot with any chutney.