Sivaparisi Kara kolukattai | Red rice dumplings is a very simple recipe which can be prepared as evening snacks. This can be prepared with instant red rice flour along with seasoning of mustards seeds, channa dal, urad dal, grated coconut, chopped green chillies, curry leaves and salt which makes it spicy and tasty. We have already prepared many types of kolukattai. Some are Paal kolukattai, Inippu kolukattai, Fried wheat flour Sweet Modak, Sesame sweet Modak, Uppu Kolukattai, Mani Kolukattai, Filling modak (salted) and Aval kolukattai.
More details about Kolukattai in Kolukattai – Wikipedia. Now let us see how to prepare this recipe.
Ingredients:- (200 ml cup used)
- red rice flour – 1 cup
- veg oil – 1 tsp
- mustard seeds / kadugu – 1/2 tsp
- urad dal / ulundham paruppu – 1 tsp
- channa dal / kadalai paruppu – 2 tsp
- asafoetida / perungayam – 1/4 tsp
- green chilly / pachai milagai – 1 (chopped)
- curry leaves / karuvepilai – 8 number(chopped)
- grated coconut / thuruviya thengai – 1/4 cup
- salt / uppu – to taste
1. Heat one tsp of oil in a fry pan. Add mustard seeds and when it splutters add urad dal and channa dal. When it turns golden add asafoetida, chopped green chilly and chopped curry leaves.
2. Switch off the stove and add grated coconut to it and mix well.
3. Take red rice flour in a bowl and add the seasoning to it along with required salt.
4. Mix well. Add water little by little and mix to form a thick dough as seen in the photo below.
5. Heat water in an Idiyappam pan and put the cloth in it. Make kolukattai with lemon size balls using your fingers to make the impression. Keep it in the Idiyappam pan above the cloth and cook under steam closing with a lid.
6. Allow it to cook for 10 minutes by closing with a lid. Kolukattai will change into dark red colour when it gets cooked.
7. You can serve it hot along with any chutney or alone. It has salt and spices for taste.