Sev Puri recipe | Mumbai street food with step by step photos – a popular street food snack of Mumbai which will be a spicy, sweet and tangy chaat. It is now popular all over India. We can prepare it easily at home where some of the ingredients need to be prepared in advance before assembling them. To know about Mumbai street food click on the link – Street foods of Mumbai.
We have already prepared some Mumbai chaat items like Pav Bhaji, Vada Pav, Gobi manchurian, Aloo Samosa, Vegetable Cutlet, Vegetable Bread Vada , Chole Bhature and Pani Puri. Today let us prepare sev puri, which I have explained in easy steps with photos, a very popular street food in India.
Sev Puri recipe – The Ingredients you will need to make sev puris are:-
- puris or papids – these are crisp flat fried puris made from whole wheat flour or maida. They can be made at home or you can buy from stores.
- spicy green chutney – made from fresh coriander leaves, mint leaves and green chillies.
- Sweet red chutney – made from tamarind, dates and jaggery.
- sev – crisp fried gram flour / kadalai maavu / besan vermicelli. Can be made at home or bought from store.
- vegetables – boiled and chopped potatoes
- finely chopped onion
- tomatoes also finely chopped
- coriander leaves finely chopped
It is best to prepare the chutneys one day before and refrigerate it. If you prepare at home the papids and sev you should do that too one day before or it can be store bought.
Sev Puri recipe – Other ingredients you should collect:-
- red chilly powder
- roasted cumin powder
- chaat masala powder
- black salt
- lemon juice
The same chaat which is called as “sev” in Mumbai is called as “papdi chaat” in Delhi which is little different. In papdi chaat curd and boiled channa were added and onions and tomatoes were not added. Rest of the ingredients are the same.
Now let us see about the preparation of Sev Puri recipe | Mumbai street food
Sev Puri recipe | Mumbai street food – Ingredients:- (200 ml cup used)
- crisp flat puris / papids – 6 number
- potato – 1 (boiled and chopped)
- onion – 1 (finely chopped)
- tomato – 1 (finely chopped)
- spicy green chutney – 1/4 cup
- sweet red chutney – 1/4 cup
- chilly powder – 1 tsp
- roasted cumin powder – 1 tsp
- chaat masala powder – 1 tsp
- black salt or rock salt or common salt – 1 tsp
- lemon juice – 1 tsp
- coriander leaves – 1/2 cup (finely chopped)
- sev – 1/2 cup
Sev Puri recipe – Preparation of spicy green chutney – Ingredients:-
- coriander leaves – 1 cup
- mint leaves – 1 cup
- green chillies – 3 number
- ginger / inji – 1 inch (chopped)
- garlic / poondu – 1 tsp (chopped)
- channa dal / kadalai paruppu – 1 tsp (roasted)
- cumin powder / seeragapodi – 1/4 tsp
- chaat masala powder – 1/4 tsp
- sugar – 1/4 tsp
- salt – 1/4 tsp
- asafoetida / perungaayam – pinch
- lemon juice – 1 tsp
Grind all the above ingredients into a fine paste except lemon juice. Add 1/4 cup of water for rinsing and add to the chutney. Finally add lemon juice and mix well. You can refrigerate this chutney and use for 10 days for all chaats recipes.
Sev Puri recipe – Preparation of sweet red chutney – Ingredients:-
- tamarind / puzhi – 1/2 cup
- dates / pearichambalam – 1/2 cup (de seeded)
- jaggery / vellam – 1/2 cup
- red chilly – 1
- ginger / inji – 1 tsp (grated)
- cumin seeds / seeragam – 1/2 tsp
- black salt – 1/2 tsp
Boil tamarind, dates, jaggery and red chilly with enough water until jaggery melts completely. Cool down to room temperature, take the cooked ingredients and grind along with grated ginger, cumin seeds and black salt. Sieve it through a vegetable stainer and store it in a container. You can refrigerate this sweet red chutney and use for one month. Refer – Sweet red chutney
Sev Puri recipe | Mumbai street food – Assembling the sev puris:-
1. Firstly keep all the ingredients needed in the serving table ready. Arrange 6 puris in a plate to serve for one person.
2. Secondly put 1/2 tea spoon of boiled chopped potatoes above each puri.
3. Next add 1/2 tea spoon of finely chopped onions above it.
4. Then add 1/2 tea spoon of finely chopped tomatoes above each puri.
5. Further add 1/4 tea spoon of spicy green chutney above each puri.
6. Next add 1/4 tea spoon of sweet red chutney above it.
7. Sprinkle little red chilly powder above.
8. After that sprinkle roasted cumin powder above it.
9. Then sprinkle chaat masala powder above it.
10. Sprinkle little salt above.
11. Further sprinkle few drops of lemon juice above the puris.
12. Sprinkle finely chopped fresh coriander leaves above all the papids.
13. Finally add handful of sev above the papids evenly and serve immediately. If not served immediately, the puris turn soggy
Give your valuable comments about this recipe. Share it with your friends if you like this recipe and subscribe for more such recipes. Thank you.