Semiya halwa | vermicelli halwa | diwali recipe is an easy to prepare sweet that can be prepared during festivals like diwali, party’s or as neivedhyam for god during poojas. Ingredients used are vermicelli, sugar, ghee, cashew nuts, dry grapes, cardomom powder and kesari powder. Here we do not use milk. You can also use milk as in payasam to give variation. We have already prepared few halwas such as Bread Halwa, Milk Halwa, Beetroot Halwa, Badam Halwa and Carrot Halwa. This halwa is very easy to prepare and can be prepared within 15 minutes.
Ingredients:- (200 ml cup used)
- semiya / vermicelli – 1 cup
- sugar – 1/2 cup
- ghee – 2-3 tsps
- cashew nuts and dry grapes – few
- kesari powder – pinch
- cardomom powder – pinch
1. Collect all the ingredients and keep it ready. Dry roast semiya in a pan till it is hot to touch. If you use roasted semiya skip this step.
2. Heat one tsp of ghee in a pan and roast cashew nuts and dry grapes to golden brown.
3. Remove roasted cashews and dry grapes and keep it aside. Add one cup of water, pinch of kesari powder and cardomom powder to the same pan and boil.
4. When water boils add roasted semiya.
5. Keep it in medium flame till semiya is cooked well and becomes thick without any water. Now add sugar.
6. Stir well again till it becomes thick. Then finally add one more tsp of ghee.
7. Transfer to a bowl and add roasted cashew nuts and grapes. Use for neivedhyam to god or serve hot.