Sakkarai Valli kizhangu Poriyal | Sweet Potato Curry recipe is a very healthy recipe prepared with sweet potato which is very easy and tasty. Available mostly during the Pongal season. Sweet Potatoes which are called “Sakkarai Valli Kizhangu” in tamil is an excellent source of vitamin A, vitamin C, manganese and beta-carotene. It also contains vitamin B6, potassium, copper and fiber. The month of December and January are the season for this healthy vegetable.To know more about the vegetable click – Amazing health benefits of sweet potatoes
- sweet potato / sakkarai valli kizhangu – 2 (1/4 kg)
- onion – 1 (chopped)
- green chilly – 1 (chopped)
- ginger / inji – 1/2 inch (chopped)
- turmeric powder/ manjal podi – 1/4 tsp
- red chilly powder / milagai podi – 1/2 tsp
- salt – to taste
- oil – 1 tsp
- mustard seeds / kadugu – 1/2 tsp
- urad dal / ulundham paruppu – 1 tsp
1. Wash and cook sweet potatoes with enough water in a pressure cooker for 2 whistles or 3 minutes in medium flame after you get a whistle.
2. Once pressure is released cool to room temperature and remove skin.
3. Chop them into small one inch cubes if you use it as side dish for rice. Or else you can chop it into little bigger pieces if consumes directly. Heat one tsp of oil in a fry pan and add mustard seeds and when it splutters add urad dal.
4. When urad dal turns golden add slit green chillies and curry leaves.
5. When onions turn pale add cooked and chopped Sweet potato to it.
6. Next add turmeric powder, red chilly powder and salt.
7. Serve as side dish along with white rice
8. If needed for children as evening snacks, you can chop little begged and avoid adding chilly powder and turmeric powder. Salt alone can be added. (Sugar is optional. Some children will like it when little sugar is added. How ever the vegetable itself has a sweet taste)