Raw turmeric pickle recipe | Manjal kizhangu Oorugai is an easy to prepare pickle with green chillies, lemon juice and salt. Raw turmeric is a rhizome of the ginger family, available during the month of January. It is used for indigestion, throat infection, common colds, liver ailment and to treat skin sores in Ayurveda and Siddha.
These raw turmeric (rhizomes) are boiled in water for 30 minutes, dried well in sunlight and then they are ground into fine powder and used in many cuisines especially for curries.
We have already prepared few pickles such as
Cut Mango Pickle and many more pickles. Today let us see how to prepare a pickle with raw turmeric.
- raw turmeric / manjal kizhangu – 100 grams
- green chillies / pachai milagai – 2 number
- lemon / elumichai – 4 number
- salt – 3/4 tsp
- boiled and cooled water – 4 tsp
1. Peel the skin of raw turmeric using a peeler.
2. Chop raw turmeric into thin circular slices.
3. Chop green chillies too into small circular pieces.
4. Cut lemon and take juice. Filter it through a filter to remove the seeds.
5. Now mix chopped raw turmeric, green chillies and lemon juice along with salt.
6. Mix well. Add 4 tsps of boiled and cooled water to this pickle and mix well. Allow it to set for one day. You can also keep it in sunlight by closing it with a white muslin cloth.
7. Next day it slightly turns light in colour. You can use the pickle now.
8. This can be kept outside and used for 2-3 days. Or you can put it in a bottle and refrigerate it and use upto 3 or 4 months.