Radish sambar recipe | Mulangi sambar is an easy to prepare sambar for beginners and bachelors. This is a tasty and healthy sambar served along with rice. The ingredients are the same which is used in all other sambar recipes such as toor dal, onion, omato, tamarind, sambar powder and salt. Tempering is done finally. Radish is called as “Mulangi” in tamil and as “mooli” in Hindi. Radishes are root vegetables grown and consumed throughout the world. I have posted the photos of few varieties of radish below.
Radish sambar recipe – Ingredients:-
- mulangi / radish / mooli – 1/4 kg (sliced)
- onion – 1 (chopped)
- tomato – 1 (chopped)
- turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- toor dal / thuvaram paruppu – 3/4 cup
Radish sambar recipe – Ingredients for seasoning:-
- oil – 1 tsp
- mustard seeds / kadugu – 1/2 tsp
- urad dal / ulundham paruppu – /4 tsp
- asafoetida / perungayam – pinch
- curry leaves / karuvepilai – few
Radish sambar recipe – Method of preparation:-
1. Firstly scrap the skin and slice the radishes into circular pieces. Chop onion and tomatoes. Add all these chopped vegetables along with toor dal and turmeric powder with one and a half cup of water to a pressure cooker. Cook in medium flame until you get a whistle.
2. Once when pressure is released, open the cooker and add sambar powder, tamarind paste and salt. Keep in medium flame for 5 minutes.
3. Finally heat one tea spoon of oil in a fry pan and add mustard seeds. When it splutters add urad dal. When it turns golden add asafoetida and curry leaves. Pour this seasoning into the sambar and serve along with rice.