Radish roast recipe or mulangi Varuval is a tasty side dish which we can prepare with radish. Here we use the ingredients radish, pepper powder, red chilly powder, turmeric powder, salt and garlic. We roast the radish pieces in coconut oil and add spice powders and we serve this dish along with rice. Radish is called as ”mulangi” in tamil and as “mooli” in Hindi. Radishes are of many varieties in colour such as pink, red, white, yellow or grey-black, length and size with round or elongated roots, according to the seasons when they are grown. I have shared the photos of few varieties of radishes below.
Even more radish recipes in my website are
Radish roast recipe – Ingredients:-
- radish / mulangi pieces – 1 cup
- garlic / poondu – 2 tsp (chopped)
- turmeric powder / manjal podi – 1/4 tsp
- red chilli powder / milagai podi – 1/2 tsp
- pepper powder / milagu thool – 1/2 tsp
- coconut oil – 1 tblsp
- salt – to taste
Radish roast recipe – Method of preparation:-
1. First of all scrap the skin and chop radish into finger like pieces as shown in the photo above and If it is a round shape radish chop it into quarters. Secondly heat one table spoon of coconut oil in a fry pan and add chopped garlic.
2. Fry garlic for few minutes and then add chopped radishes.
3. Sauté radish pieces for few minutes and when they turn colour and the edges were fried to golden yellow keep the stove in low flame. Thirdly close and cook without adding water.
4. After that open and stir in between without sticking to the pan and when radishes were cooked well and becomes soft, add turmeric powder, red chilly powder and pepper powder.
5. Again you can close and cook for few more minutes till the ingredients merge well. Finally transfer to the serving bowl and garnish with few finely chopped coriander leaves and serve.