Radish Poriyal recipe | Mooli | Mulangi Poriyal is an edible root vegetable grown and consumed throughout the world, being mostly eaten raw as a crunchy salad vegetable. It is rich in potassium, dietary fiber, vitamin C, vitamin B-6 and calcium. Radishes has numerous health benefits. It controls blood pressure, purifies our blood and cleanse our liver and stomach. Called as “mulangi” in tamil and as “mooli” in hindi. There are various kinds of radishes, some are white, some pink and some even black. Here I have used pink radishes to prepare poriyal, which is very attractive.
Radish Poriyal recipe – Ingredients:-
- Radish – 200 gms (Chopped)
- Onion – 1 (chopped)
- Green chilly – 1
- Toor dal/ thuvaram paruppu – handful
- Grated coconut – 2 tblsp
- Turmeric powder/ manjal thool – 1/4 tsp
- Salt – to taste
Radish Poriyal recipe – Ingredients for Seasoning:-
- Oil – 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds/ kadugu – 1/2 tsp
- Urad dal/ ulundham paruppu – 1 tsp
- Curry leaves/ karuvepilai – few
- Red chilly powder/ milagai podi – 1/4 tsp
Radish Poriyal recipe – Method of preparation:-
1. Cook toor dal with enough water, turmeric powder and a drop of oil. Stop before it breaks and drain water.
2. Heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds and when it splutters add urad dal.
3. When it turns golden brown, add curry leaves, onion and green chilly.
4. Now add chopped radish and sauté for a few minutes.
5. Sprinkle some water if necessary, close and cook until radish is cooked well. Add salt and red chilly powder.
6. Mix well and add cooked toor dal and grated coconut.
7. Mix all together keeping in low flame for few minutes. Transfer to serving bowl. Garnish with spring onions or fresh coriander and serve along with rice.