pumpkin halwa recipe | பரங்கிக்காய் அல்வா is usually prepared during festivals or during the season when pumpkins are flooded in the market. Pumpkins are rich in vitamin A, beta carotene and vitamin C and low in calories. They are a powerful source of fiber. We have prepared soups, side dishes, chutneys and now we are making halwa for this diwali. Pumpkins are good for eyes helps to reduce blood pressure and helps in weight loss.
Pumpkin halwa is very easy to prepare within 15 minutes with few ingredients. It tastes light as we use very less amount of sugar. This can be served as dessert after meals or as evening snacks.
A short video link for the recipe:-
pumpkin halwa recipe – Ingredients:- (200 ml cup used)
- pumpkin / parangi kaai – 2 cups
- sugar / seeni – 1/2 cup ( you can taste finally and add more sugar if you need)
- milk / paal – 1/2 cup
- cashew nuts and pista – few
- cardomom powder / elakkai powder – 1/4 tsp
- ghee / nei – as needed
pumpkin halwa recipe – Method of preparation:-
1. Firstly peel the skin of pumpkin and grate it. (You can also chop into larger cubes and cook for 3 minutes) Heat fry pan with two tea spoons of ghee and fry the nuts. I have fried broken cashew nuts and pista/pistachios. When it turns golden remove and keep it aside.
2. Secondly in the remaining ghee in fry pan add grated pumpkin.
3. Sauté for 2-3 minutes in low flame without sticking to the pan.
4. Thirdly when raw smell leaves and pumpkin gets half cooked add milk and cardomom powder. Keep in low flame and cook for few more minutes till milk is completely absorbed. Stir continuously.
5. Further add sugar and cardomom. It will melt in few minutes. Keep stirring till it thickens to form halwa consistency. Taste it and add sugar if you need more.
6. Finally switch off the stove, transfer to a bowl and garnish with fried nuts and serve.
Thank you very much for reading. Like, subscribe and share if you like this recipe.