Pumpkin chutney | Parangikkaai thuvaiyal recipe is a chutney prepared with a pumpkin which has a sweet taste, along with red chillies, spices, tamarind and salt. This is used as side dish for idli, dosa or rice.
Parangikkai is very versatile in their uses for cooking. Most parts of the pumpkin are edible, including the fleshy shell, the seeds, the leaves, and even the flowers. In the United States and Canada, pumpkin is a popular Halloween and Thanksgiving staple. Pumpkin purée is sometimes prepared and frozen for later use.
Related recipe are as follows
Pumpkin chutney recipe – Ingredients:-
- Pumpkin/Parangikkaai – 1/4 kg (chop into small square pieces)
- Mustard seeds/ kadugu – 1/2 tsp
- Urad dal/ ulundham paruppu – 1 tsp
- Asafoetida/ perungayam – 1/4 tsp
- Red chilly/ vara milagai – 5-6 number
- Tamarind paste/ puzhi – 1 tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Cooking oil – 2 tsp
Pumpkin chutney recipe – Method of preparation:-
1. Firstly heat one tea spoon of oil in a fry pan. Add mustard seeds. When it splutters add urad dal. When it turns golden yellow, add asafoetida and finally add red chillies. Fry well and transfer to a plate.
2. In the same pan add one more tea spoon of cooking oil and fry pumpkin till it turns colour.
3. Add required salt and tamarind paste to the above fried ingredients.
4. Finally grind it in a mixie to make a fine paste without adding water.
5. Serve as side dish along with idli, dosa or rice.