Pudalangai thuvaiyal recipe | Snake gourd chutney is prepared with snake gourd, grated coconut, tamarind, red chillies and salt. It is a different chutney with different taste from your usual side dish for idli or dosa.
- Veg oil – 1 tsp
- mustard seeds / kadugu – 1 tsp
- urad dal / ulundham paruppu – 1 tsp
- channa dal / kadalai paruppu – 1 tsp
- asafoetida / perungayam – 1/2 tsp
- red chillies / vara milagai – 3 to 4 number
- garlic cloves / poondu – few
- curry leaves / karuvepilai – few
- pudalangai/ snake gourd – 1/4 kg
- grated coconut – 1 tblsp
- tamarind paste – 1 tsp
- salt – 1 tsp
1. Put chopped snake gourd in boiling water for one minute. It will be half cooked.
2. Now drain water using a vegetable separating tray and separate half cooked snake gourd.
3. Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds. When it splutters add urad dal and channa dal. When it turns golden yellow, add red chillies, followed by garlic and curry leaves. Sauté for few minutes. Now add half cooked snake gourd and sauté well till it shrinks. Next add grated coconut and sauté for one minute and switch off the stove.
4. Cool to room temperature, add tamarind paste and salt. Grind well in a mixie.
5. This snake gourd chutney can be served as side dish for idli,dosa or rice.
For more chutney recipes click on the following links