Chettinad Pudalangai | Snake gourd kootu recipe | புடலங்காய் is another Chettinad recipe prepared as side dish for rice. Snake gourd is a narrow, twisted, elongated fruit, which has an unpleasant odour and a slightly bitter taste, which disappears while cooking.
Here in this recipe we add moong dal to improve its taste. This is a tasty recipe which can be prepared according to your required consistency and consumed mixing with rice. It is a very easy to prepare recipe, if you try following the steps given below carefully.
Preparation time: 20 minutes
To serve: 4
- snake gourd/ pudalangai – 1/4 kg
- onion – 1 tblsp ( chopped )
- green chillies – 2 (slit )
- moong dal/ paasi paruppu – 1/2 cup
- turmeric powder/ manjal thool – 1/4 tsp
- salt/ uppu – to taste
- cumin seeds/ seeragam – 1/2 tsp
- grated coconut – 1 tblsp
- Ghee/ nei – 1 tsp
- curry leaves/ karuvepilai – few
1. Wash and cut snake gourd into two lengthwise pieces and remove the seed part inside. Again cut it into two lengthwise pieces. Now you will get four lengthwise pieces. Then chop it into small pieces as shown in the photo below.
2. Cook snake gourd, moong dal, green chillies and onion with turmeric powder and enough water in low flame in a pan. Close with a lid and cook. Check in between opening the lid whether dal and the vegetable is cooked. After it gets well cooked ( dal will start to open and snake gourd becomes soft when touched ) go to the next step.
3. Now add salt needed and grated coconut, check for taste and mix well. Add water according to your required consistency. This dish can be thick or little watery. Switch off the flame once done.
4. In another pan heat one tea spoon of ghee and add cumin seeds and when it splutters add few curry leaves and pour it into kootu. Serve as side dish for rice.
Other dishes with snake gourd are as follows