Potato Rajma Gravy recipe | Aloo Kidney beans is another tasty gravy recipe for phulkas, parathas and roti’s. A healthy recipe for children with aloo and rajma.
Preparation Time:- 30 minutes
To Serve:- 2 persons
- Rajma (kidney beans) – 1/2 cup (soaked in water over night or 6-8 hrs – comes to one cup after soaking)
- Potato – 1 cup (nearly 2)
- Onion – 1 cup (nearly 2)
- Tomato – 1 cup (nearly 2)
- Ginger – 1 tsp
- Garlic – 1 tsp
- Red chilly powder – 1 tsp
- Coriander powder – 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Garam masala – 1/2 tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Tamarind paste or mango powder – 1/2 tsp (optional)
For spice bag:-
- Bay leaf – 1
- Cloves – 2
- Cardomom – 1
- Cinnomon – 1 inch
1. Soak rajma over night or 6-8 hrs in enough water.
2. Take the spices mentioned in a thin muslin cloth and tie tightly, and put inside the pressure cooker, along with rajma and enough water. Cook for 2 whistles or fot 3 minutes in low flame after you get a whistle. (Rajma takes long time to cook. So cook rajma alone for one whistle, and then we can add potatoes)
3. When you release the pressure, add potatoes along with little salt and cook for one more whistle. Release pressure and remove spice bag. (Now we get the flavour of the spices in the dish)
4. Heat oil in a pan add chopped ginger and garlic and sauté for a minute. Next add chopped onions and sauté till it turns pale.
5. Add tomatoes and fry for 2 minutes. Add the masala powders ( red chilly powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder and little salt) you can add the water from the cooked rajma to it and close the lid of the pan and wait till the tomatoes get well cooked.
6. Take some amount of rajma and potato, mash it and keep it in a cup.
7. Add the rest of rajma potato and garam masala to the pan and mix well with the masalas. Now add the mashed vegetables too.
8. You can also add half a tea spoon of tamarind paste or mango powder to it. Serve along with phulkas or rice.