Potato Puri masala | Aloo | பூரி உருளை கிழங்கு மசாலா is one of the tastiest, easy to prepare breakfast recipe. In this puris were prepared using wheat flour and the side dish with potatoes which were very healthy for growing children. Other dishes with potato are Methi potato curry, Easy Potato masala, Potato Raitha, Aloo-Shimla mirchi sabzi, Chettinad Potato dry masala and Aloo Samosa.
- potatoes – 6-7
- onions – 2 (chopped)
- tomatoes – 1 (chopped)
- green chillies – 4 (slit)
- turmeric powder- 1/2 tsp
- salt – to taste
- mustard seeds/ kadugu – 1/2 tsp
- urad dal/ ulundham paruppu – 1 tsp
- oil – 1 tsp
- curry leaves/ karuvepilai – fewFor Puri:-
- wheat flour – 2 cups
- rava – 1/2 cup (optional – for puri’s to remain puffed)
- salt – 1/2 tsp
- water – as required
1. Cook potatoes with enough water in a pressure cooker for 5 minutes after you get a whistle in medium flame and switch off the stove. Once pressure is released, open pressure cooker, transfer potatoes to cold water and remove skin. Cut potatoes into one inch cubes.
2. Heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds and when it pops, add urad dal and when it turns golden brown, add green chillies and curry leaves. Sauté for a few minutes.
3. Next add chopped onions and fry till it becomes soft. (Approximately 2 minutes) Then add chopped tomatoes and saute for a few few more minutes till it becomes mashy.
4. Now add half a cup of water and close with a lid until the onion and tomatoes mixed well and gets cooked and turns soft.
5. Now add cooked and cut potato cubes along with turmeric powder and salt. Mix well and let it boil for few more minutes.
6. Take wheat flour in a bowl add salt and rava (optional) and add water little by little and knead into a smooth dough and it should not stick to your hands.
7. Make circular puri’s dusting dry wheat flour above using the rolling pin.
8. Heat enough oil in a kadai and deep fry the puri’s on both the sides until it puffs up and turns golden brown on both the sides.
9. Serve the hot puri’s with the above prepared potato masala.