Poondu puzhi Kuzhambu – Chettinad | பூண்டு புளி குழம்பு will be a wonderful side dish which goes well with rice, idli or dosai. Garlic which is called as Poondu in Tamil has numerous health benefits. It fights against cold and flu, boosts immune system, purifies blood, lowers cholesterol level, prevents heart diseases, skin aging, hair loss and cancer. Clears intestinal problems and it’s good for eyes.
This is a recipe in which we use lot of garlic. This is a puzhi kuzhambu and so we do not use any dal in it which will be thick and of good taste. You can make it light by adding coconut milk accordingly. You can serve this as side dish for idli, dosa and rice.
A short video link for the recipe:-
Poondu puzhi Kuzhambu – Ingredients to grind:-
- grated coconut / thengai thuruval – 2 tblsp
- poppy seeds / kasa kasa – 1 tsp
Poondu puzhi Kuzhambu – Ingredients for Seasoning:-
- gingely oil – 1 tblsp
- mustard seeds- 1/2 tsp
- urad dal – 1 tsp
- black pepper / milagu – 1/2 tsp
- fennel seeds / sombu – 1/2 tsp
- fenugreek seeds / vendhayam – 1/2 tsp
- asafoetida – pinch
- curry leaves – few
Poondu puzhi Kuzhambu – Method of preparation:-
1. Firstly heat 2 table spoons of gingely oil and add mustard seeds. When it splutters add urad dal and asafoetida. Next add garlic, onion and curry leaves And fry.
2. Secondly add 1/4 tsp of turmeric powder and one cup of water, close and cook for 5 minutes in low flame.
3. Mean while mix sambar powder, salt and tamarind pulp in one cup of water and keep it ready.
4. Also grind grated coconut and poppy seeds to a fine paste and keep it ready.
5. Once when onion and garlic were well cooked and becomes soft you can add tamarind pulp, sambar powder and salt mixed in water. Again close and cook for one more minute until raw smell leaves the pan.
6. Further add coconut and poppy seeds paste and boil in low flame until kuzhambu becomes thick. You can add 1 tea spoon of jaggery if you prefer and keep it in low flame for one more minute.
7. Finally heat one tea spoon of oil in another pan and add black pepper, fennel seeds and fenugreek seeds. When it splutters switch off the stove and pour it into the puzhi kuzhambu.
6. You can serve this kuzhambu as side dish for idli, dosa or rice. You can prepare it thicker if needed for chapathis or phulkas.