Poondu puzhi Kuzhambu – Chettinad | பூண்டு புளி குழம்பு will be a wonderful side dish which goes well with rice, idli or dosai. Garlic which is called as Poondu in Tamil has numerous health benefits. It fights against cold and flu, boosts immune system, purifies blood, lowers cholesterol level, prevents heart diseases, skin aging, hair loss and cancer. Clears intestinal problems and it’s good for eyes.
This is a recipe in which a lot of garlic is used than any other recipes. This is a puzhi kuzhambu and so no dal in it. This kuzhambu used to be thick with good taste. It can be lightened by adding coconut milk accordingly. This can be used as side dish for idli, dosa and rice.
It’s very easy to prepare. Try to prepare following the steps given below.
- garlic/poondu – 1 cup
- onion – 1 cup (sambar onions preferable)
- coconut milk – 3/4 cup
- tamarind pulp – from a lemon size tamarind
- sambar powder – 1 tblsp see Authentic Chettinad Sambar Powder Recipe
- turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- salt – to taste
- jaggery – 1/2 tsp
- gingely oil – 1 tblsp
- mustard seeds- 1/2 tsp
- urad dal – 1 tsp
- asafoetida – pinch
- curry leaves – few
1.Fry garlic and onion in 1tsp of oil and add 1/2 cup of water and cook.
2. Once onion and garlic were well cooked add tamarind pulp, sambar powder, turmeric powder, salt and another 1/2 cup of water and cook for 5 more minutes till raw smell of sambar powder leaves.
3. Now add coconut milk and Jaggery and keep it boiling for one more minute. Do not boil for long time after adding coconut milk.
4.Heat oil in another pan and add mustard seeds, urad dhal and when it turns golden yellow add asafoetida & curry leaves and mix it to the kuzhambu.
5. This kuzhambu can be used as side dish for idli, dosa or rice. Can be prepared little thicker if needed for phulkas.