Pongal Kuzhambu recipe | Harvest Festival Special is a special kuzhambu prepared during pongal festival in Tamil Nadu. To know about the festival click – Tamil Nadu – Pongal celebrations . We add many vegetables and prepare this puzhi kuzhambu which will be very tasty. In most of the shops they sell such mixed vegetables for preparing this popular kuzhambu in Tamil Nadu. We have already seen the Traditional way of celebrating pongal at Chettinad. Now let us go to the preparation of this recipe.
Pongal Kuzhambu recipe | Harvest Festival Special – Ingredients:-
- gingely oil / nal ennai – 2 tblsps
- pepper corn / milagu – 1/4 tsp
- mustard seeds / kadugu – 1/2 tsp
- urad dal / ulundham paruppu – 1 tsp
- fenugreek seeds / vendhayam – 1/4 tsp
- fennel seeds / sombu – 1/4 tsp
- cumin seeds / seeragam – 1/4 tsp
- asafoetida / perungayam – 1/4 tsp
- curry leaves / karuvepilai – few
- vegetables – 4 cup ( this include odd number of vegetables such as
1. Katharikkai / brinjal
2. vaalaikkai / raw banana
3. urulaikizhangu / potato
4. murungaikkai / drumstick
6. kudai milagai / bel pepper
7. chow chow
8. avaraikkai / flat beans
9. karamani / thattai payathangai / long beans
10. chinna vengayam / pearl onions
11. thakkali / tomato
12. parangikkai / pumpkin
13. poosanikkai / ash gourd
14. mulangi / radish
15. mochai / field beans
16. pachai pattani / green peas
17. senai kizhangu / elephant foot yam
18. seeni avarangai / cluster beans
19. green beans
20. poondu / garlic cloves
21. kovaikkai / Ivy gourd
22. palaakkai / raw jack fruit
23. palaakottai / jack fruit seeds
24. maangai / raw mango
25. peerkangai / ridge gourd
26. pudalangai / snake gourd
27. suraikkai / bottle gourd
28. thengai keetru / coconut pieces
You can select what ever is available. Do not add beetroot because it spoils the colour of the dish)
- turmeric powder / manjal podi – 1/4 tsp
- sambar powder – 3 tsp Authentic Chettinad Sambar Powder Recipe
- tamarind paste – 2 tsp Tamarind Paste Preparation
- salt – to taste
1. Chop all the vegetables and collect it in a bowl. Heat gingely oil in a fry pan. Add all the items given under seasoning.
2. When it splutters add curry leaves and chopped vegetables except coconut pieces and sauté for few minutes in medium flame.
3. Vegetables gets fried well in oil and starts to turn colour.
4. Now add water and turmeric powder.
5. Close with a lid and cook for 10 minutes. When the vegetables gets cooked and becomes soft add sambar powder, salt and tamarind paste.
6. Add required water according to your needed consistency, add chopped coconut pieces and keep it in low flame.
7. Let it be in low flame for another 3 minutes.
8. Transfer to the serving bowl. This will be used for Pongal padayal to serve in banana leaves.